Monday, July 9, 2012

I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure Walter Kronkite, Harry Reasoner, David Brinkley, Chet Huntly, Eric Sevareid, Howard K. Smith, Peter Jennings, John Chancellor, and Edward R. Murrow, all just rolled over in their graves tonight as NBC Nightly News closed with a piece on the quick and amicable settement between "TomKat."  (I think I actually vomited a little bit in the back of my mouth) I actually felt bad for poor Brian Williams who then had to close the segment and sign off, and who's shame-faced expression truly conveyed "This cannot be my life."  I guess once the network geniuses decided that news could actually be a moneymaking commodity, instead of treating it like the respectable, even prestigious loss-leader that it was for years, that was one of the early steps down a very wrong path. If anybody can share with me how yet even more information (like there's not enough already on the internet, in the tabloids, and the "Entertainment Tonight"-type shows) on Tom and Katie's failed nuptials help to contribute to the networks duty of keeping the public well informed (they have to agree to stuff like that when they get a broadcasting license), I would love to hear it.  (And I'm not normally this snarky, but had a rough last couple of days).  Until next time.   Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment