Saturday, July 28, 2012

Well, the good news is that The Moroni Deception was sent off to BookBaby yesterday.  The bad news is that because of whatever they have to do for their conversion process into an e-pub file, it's going to take another couple of weeks before they'll send it off to their various e-Book partners and distributors.  Then after that, Amazon will have it up in just a couple of days--the others (Nook, Kobo, Sony, IPad, etc) however, will take several weeks (will keep you posted).  I've also recently learned if you don't have an e-reading device (and this makes perfect sense), there are a number of free aps (Kobo comes to mind, along with quite a few of them that work with Amazon) that can be downloaded to convert your desktop, laptop, or smartphone in to your own e-reader.  Despite this information which I passed on to a relative the other day who was Kindle-less, she still insisted that she much preferred books, and would probably not take my advice (and, I guess, would therefore not read my book until it came out in hardcopy).  Now, I'm just about as old school (or Luddite-like) as it gets when it comes to electronic gizmos and gadgets (I barely make use of my cell phone which mostly just sits in my car for emergencies), but when you can store up an entire library in the palm of your hand for a fraction of the cost (not to mention all the free Classics and older titles), I'm not quite sure what the cons are.  Now I've heard some people, like my 70-year-old father, say they're tactile and just have to have something to hold in their hands so they can turn actual pages (which I guess for some is part of the reading experience), but she actually said that she preferred books because she wanted "something for verification" of what she had read.  That I don't get, and I'm also pretty sure most libraries (or friends) don't let you keep their books after you've read them for your reading trophies.  That said, I do keep my copies of A Confederacy of Dunces, Ishmael, The Sirens of Titan, The Impressionist, Catch-22, Catcher in the Rye, Candide, MacDonald's Travis McGee series, the complete works of Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe, and Roald Dahl's short stories by my bedside to reread whenever the spirit moves me--books or stories that were important to me at some time in my life and which remind me of simpler times.  Until next time.  Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment